Elliott H. Stone is one of the leading California title insurance regulation lawyers representing title insurance companies, underwritten title companies and independent escrow companies.
Mr. Stone’s practice includes the legal representation of clients in regulatory matters before the California Department of Insurance and California Department of Business Oversight for matters related to:
- Licensing of a new underwritten title companies and title insurance underwriters.
- Licensing of new independent escrow companies.
- Change of ownership consent to allow the transfer (purchase/sale) of stock in a California title company and/or independent escrow company.
- Expansion of existing title company authorization to additional counties of operation.
- Defending companies before the Insurance Commissioner in Department of Insurance enforcement actions.
- Defending companies and their shareholders from alleged illegal rebates and/or commissions.
- Defending companies and their shareholders from alleged “controlled business” and/or “affiliated business” arrangement violations.
- Defending companies and their shareholders from alleged violations of the Real Estate Settlement Practices Act, or RESPA.
- Defending title companies and their shareholders from alleged violations of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, or CFPB, interpretations of Regulation Z and Regulation X, of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act of 1974, as amended.
- Advising companies on the proper implementation of the TILA RESPA Integrated Disclosure (TRID).
Mr. Stone’s practice also includes the representation of clients in:
- Escrow procedures and liability.
- Title insurance claims evaluation and coverage opinions.